Friday 15 November 2013

Hello Tartan!


Harriet Stevenson evaluates this vastly popular fashion trend.

Tartan is absolutely EVERYWHERE: scarves, shirts, leggings, skirts, trousers, dresses, coats, bags and even shoes. Where will this fashion trend end?

Not that I’m complaining; I love tartan, it’s such a fun and versatile pattern – you can mix it in with any outfit and it works. It’s also good for all ages: I recently went to London and on the tube almost everyone who had a scarf had one that was tartan – myself included. An old man with a farmer-style cap – he had a tartan scarf like mine, but it worked, as tartan is a pattern that’s been around for generations.

I think you can overdo the tartan though, just like people can overdo leather and denim. I saw a guy the other day with a denim shirt, denim jacket and jeans (all the same shade of denim); to be honest he might as well have been wearing a denim onesie. But who am I to judge?! I sometimes, by accident, find myself wearing triple denim too (why did I ever think a denim backpack was a good idea?)

However, all that’s by the by as tartan can be worn for both formal occasions and casual. It also lends itself to any style, whether it is grungy or preppy; this means that tartan stays unique – something that is very important in a fashion trend. The minute a design gets overworked, it loses its value.

That’s why I would say for the most part you can’t really go wrong with tartan, there are so many different variations of the pattern: small checks, large checks, monochrome or traditional. The world really is your oyster when it comes to tartan! The only thing I wouldn’t suggest is multiple tartan in one outfit - you can overdo a good thing!

Popular New York fashion blogger Lua P stated “There’s never enough plaid in my wardrobe.” If I’m honest I really can’t help but to agree as it just adds that extra pop to an outfit.

So I welcome the arrival of tartan and am excited to buy more tartan items and have fun styling them, though I promise to stay well clear of triple tartan! That’s a mistake I’m sure would not go down well.

Fashion Blogger: ‘Lua P’ – Luanna Perez: http://www.le-happy.com

Stuck on how to style tartan? Some suggestions here: http://www.pinterest.com/kafir/style-tartan/