Monday 22 October 2012

Permanently Unique



Individualism. What does this mean? Definition: an individual quirk or peculiarity.

Not only does everyone seem to be striving for a sense of individuality but unknowingly to some of us, we all show this in a certain way. How, you may ask. If you think about it logically, it’s simple...

Beginning college, I saw everything from Nike Blazers to Military Jackets to Bobbled Beanies. Which may have been expected? People are following the ‘latest trends’. Aiming to stand out, we subconsciously buy clothes which are seen to be in fashion and by doing this, we represent our individuality. However, some of us want to rebel against this ‘following’ tendency and represent our own identities in a completely different way.

My thoughts about this continued throughout the days, weeks and first couple of months of college. Personally, I know how eager I was to represent who I am through what I wore, so I felt obliged to notice others, too.

The more I think about it, the more this intrigues me. Every day we wake up, each and every one of us think about what top or bottoms or shoes we’ll wear. We think about the colours, the materials, whether the outfit ‘goes’ (some more than others). We all consciously or subconsciously make the effort; we know we’ll be looked at by someone this day. So continuously we want to show people who we really are. We put up a front. We know that others who do not know us are going to judge us; not on our ‘personalities’, but by what we wear.

Thus, fashion plays an important role in how one is perceived and wants to be perceived.

None of us want to be ‘the same’. Some of us may choose to shop in TOPSHOP or River Island, others may prefer Charity Shops. And how interesting it is that each and every one of us has our own, individual preference. A question I constantly ask myself is ‘do others notice this?’

Perhaps we’re all caught up in worrying what we wear, that we don’t notice others. We’re all determined to represent ourselves through our clothes; do we really pay attention to the amount of effort one puts into them?

Although the case may be that we do not, I definitely feel that we should. Waking up every day I know that subconsciously my aim is to look my best. Yes, even when I’m at college, I’ll admit. So, if I were told that nobody ever looks at how I represent myself, I’d be truly offended, wouldn’t you? Being noticed isn’t a bad thing and representing our own identity is even better; so remember to embrace it.  Embrace the colours, the materials, the peculiarity or quirkiness and take time to notice how  each and everyone of us show our true selves.

By Frances McClean